Posted: 29 Mar 2017 Contributor: Therese Palmere
Social Media Video Ad Trend 2023 That Marketers Need to Know
Social media video advertising is a crucial tool for modern marketers, as it allows them to reach vast audiences quickly and efficiently. In 2023, several key trends will shape the social media video ad landscape.
For example, one major trend will be the continued growth of short-form videos, with platforms like TikTok and Instagram Reels leading the way. By 2023, it is projected that 73% of all social media advertising will be video-based, up from 57% in 2021.
Additionally, social media video ads will become more personalized and interactive, with marketers leveraging new technologies such as augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) to engage viewers.
Finally, there will be an increased emphasis on mobile-first video ads, as more than 90% of social media users access platforms through mobile devices. As such, marketers will need to prioritize creating video content that is optimized for mobile viewing and designed to grab viewers' attention quickly.
So on that note, let’s dive in and help keep your users engaged in your brand’s digital video advertising!
Is Video Marketing Still Effective in 2023?
The answer is yes - video marketing is still a powerful way to capture attention and drive conversions.
Firstly, video content remains highly shareable and engaging, with research showing that viewers are more likely to remember information presented in a video format compared to other types of content. Furthermore, video marketing can be highly personalized, allowing businesses to create targeted campaigns that resonate with their audience.
Secondly, the rise of social media platforms has given video marketing even more reach, as businesses can leverage these platforms to reach millions of users with their video content. Additionally, platforms like TikTok and Instagram Reels have made short-form video content more popular than ever before, offering new opportunities for businesses to create engaging video content.
Finally, advancements in technology such as virtual and augmented reality will continue to provide new and exciting ways for businesses to create immersive video experiences for their audience.
Video Content Usage Stats Across Social Media Platforms
Here are some video content usage statistics across popular social media platforms:
- YouTube: With over 2 billion monthly active users, YouTube is the largest video-sharing platform in the world. More than 1 billion hours of video are watched on YouTube every day, and mobile devices account for more than 70% of the platform's watch time.
- Facebook: Facebook has more than 2.9 billion monthly active users, and video content on the platform receives an average of 8 billion daily views. Live videos on Facebook generate 6 times more engagement than regular videos.
- Instagram: Instagram has over 2.3 billion monthly active users, and video content on the platform is growing in popularity. Instagram Stories alone have 500 million daily active users, and more than 80% of users follow at least one business on the platform.
- TikTok: With over 1.6 billion monthly active users, TikTok is one of the fastest-growing social media platforms. Users spend an average of 52 minutes per day on the platform, and videos on TikTok have an average engagement rate of 17.8%.
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn has over 900 million users, and video content on the platform is becoming more popular. LinkedIn video posts receive 20 times more shares than other types of posts, and 87% of video marketers on the platform say that video content has been effective for them.
The Importance of Social Media Video Marketing
Sharing Content for Your Business
If your business has a message that needs to get out there, put it into a video. 92% of mobile video consumers share videos with others. Sharing is essential to social media marketing because it’s how your users communicate with one another and how your business will increase its brand awareness. If you want to get your users talking about your products, try creating a small movie that showcases its best features. Not only will it help them interact with your brand, but new viewers who are watching could also be swayed by its content as well. Videos help 90% of users when it comes to the decision making process, so nudge them a little bit your way!
Instagram users have shared over 40 billion photos to date, share an average of 95 million photos and videos per day, and garner an average of over 4.2 billion likes a day. Get engaged with your audience and show off your products. Show users how they can personally integrate these items into their lives and some tips and tricks to go with them. Display clips of your last company gala and show off your employees in their Sunday best having a good time.
Videos are a great way for your brand to appeal to its target audience, but remember to make them feel and look natural. Each video you create for your social media marketing plan should native to its platform. A video that may yield tons of likes and comments on one platform won’t necessarily do so on another. It’s the little things that count, so keep your team focused on the details.
The Devil is in the Details
Social trends help shape social media trends for business, but your team should remember to look at these trending topics from a different perspective. If video is the trend, your team has to take the next step and ask what kinds of video? Where is this type of video gaining the most traction? How can I use this information with my unique business goals in mind? This information will greatly help your team because it will keep your team focused.
For example, one of the biggest trends on Facebook today is live video. People spend 3x longer watching live video when compared their non-live counterpart. Users who watch live videos enjoy real time interactions with their favorite brands, so leverage this strategy for your company and find ways to incorporate live video into your digital marketing strategy.
Have your employees test run products with the camera rolling so your consumers can see its benefits in action. Have a live tutorial with one of your influencers using your products to pique their interest. If Facebook is making live video a priority, make it your business’ priority too.
A New Crowd
In recent years, TikTok has joined the big kids on the block in the world of social. Launched in 2016, the app has quickly become one of the most popular social media platforms, with over 1 billion monthly active users worldwide. The app allows users to create and share short-form videos, ranging from 15 to 60 seconds in length, that can be edited with a range of filters, effects, and music.
One of the reasons for TikTok's success is its highly engaging content. The platform has a unique algorithm that serves up content based on user preferences and behavior, resulting in a highly personalized feed for each user. Additionally, TikTok's content is highly entertaining, with a wide range of content creators producing videos that are funny, informative, and visually stunning.
TikTok has also been successful in capturing the attention of younger audiences. The platform has become a popular destination for Gen Z and millennials, who spend hours each day scrolling through the app's content. This has made TikTok a highly attractive platform for marketers, who are looking to reach this demographic.
7 Social Media Video Marketing Trends for 2023
- Short-form video content: Short-form video content will continue to be a major trend in social media video marketing in 2023, with platforms like TikTok and Instagram Reels leading the way.
- Personalized video content: Businesses will increasingly use data and customer insights to create personalized video content that resonates with their target audience.
- Interactive video experiences: Interactive video experiences will become more popular in 2023, with businesses using technologies like augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) to engage viewers and create immersive experiences.
- Social commerce videos: Social commerce videos will become more common in 2023, allowing businesses to showcase their products or services and drive sales directly from social media platforms.
- User-generated video content: User-generated video content will continue to be a popular trend in social media video marketing in 2023, with businesses leveraging their customers' content to create engaging and authentic video campaigns.
- Mobile-first video ads: Mobile-first video ads will be a priority in 2023, as the majority of social media users access platforms through mobile devices.
- Emphasis on storytelling: Storytelling will remain an important trend in social media video marketing in 2023, with businesses using video content to tell their brand's story and connect with their audience on an emotional level.
When it comes to social trends, 2023 is chock-full of them. Actually, check out this post for more digital marketing trends you’ll stumble across in 2023. Time-tested tactics are great and reliable, but it never hurts to experiment with what’s popular in your industry today. Keep your team alert so your business can stay updated with the next best thing. Here are the social media video ad trends again:
- Videos help increase interaction and engagement with your users
- Paying attention to the little things like the type of video for a particular platform will keep your team focused. Try live video on Facebook to inform your audience on upcoming projects and events!
- Introduce yourself to the younger generation on Snapchat with an in-house video
This blog post is Last updated on May 22nd, 2023.